Facial Fat Transfer in Boston
Why Choose Dr. Ahn and The Aesthetic Wellness Center for Your Surgery?
- Dr. Ahn only performs cosmetic surgery on the face and neck.
- Dr. Ahn has been performing fat transfer procedures of the face for nearly 20 years.
- Dr. Ahn combines fat transfer with surgery (facelift, lower eyelid lift) for best results.
- Dr. Ahn has an accredited, private office surgical suite located in the greater Boston area, central to all of New England.
Dr. Ahn’s fat transfer approach emphasizes the following principles:
- Natural looking results
- Avoiding excessive filling
- Volumization without appearing puffy
Who is a candidate for fat transfer?
- As we age, we lose volume of the face, particularly in the areas of known fat pads.
- This loss of volume generally occurs in the lower eyelids and cheeks.
- This can make the person look hollow and less youthful.
- Ideal candidates have enough donor fat (below the belly button) and have a loss of facial volume.
- They are in good health and range in age from 25-65.
Highlights of his fat transfer technique
- Use of a fine cannula that is 0.9 mm in diameter
- Placement of fine pearls of fat to create natural, smooth contours
- Often combined with lower eyelid lift surgery or face lifts for best results
Do you perform stem cell transfers?
Dr. Ahn believes it is inaccurate and perhaps misleading to state that one performs a stem cell transfer exclusively. All fat has a certain number of stem cells and therefore when a fat transfer is performed, some stem cells are transferred. Theoretically the stem cells enhance the rejuvenating effects of the treatment. However, to claim that one performs a “stem cell” transfer is misleading until the technology becomes perfected for actual stem cell transfer.
For patients in good general health, all surgeries are performed at the Aesthetic Surgery Center, our on site, private, accredited office-based surgical suite. The Aesthetic Surgery Center is accredited by the Joint Commission (JCAHO), which is the accrediting agency for hospitals and outpatient surgical facilities.
All procedures at the Aesthetic Surgery Center are performed under intravenous sedation, also known as “twilight anesthesia.” We feel that procedures performed under twilight anesthesia are safer (without the risks of general anesthesia) and lead to a quicker and easier recovery.
Recovery after Fat Transfer
Typically swelling persists for at least 1-2 weeks after fat transfer. The patient is not able to apply ice to the area because cold temperature will decrease the chances of the fat surviving.
The insertion sites are closed with sutures that dissolve after several days and do not need to be removed. Most people are able to appear in public 2 weeks with a little cover-up makeup.
Depending on how quickly you recover, you may expect to resume light activity within a week to 10 days and start enjoying your new look within approximately 10-14 days.
If you have a special event planned, Dr. Ahn advises that you allow at least 3-4 weeks of recovery before the event.