What to expect from facial plastic surgery. Your questions answered!May 25, 2015
When considering facial cosmetic surgery there’s nothing more important than educating yourself.
You might ask: What are the safety precautions? What’s the downtime? How will I look after surgery?
Sometimes sitting down with an experienced physician can calm those nerves. Dr. Ahn held a free seminar in April where he covered your questions on everything from lower face-lifts to fillers. Here’s what we learned:
How does The AWC manage patient safety?
- Safety is a top priority to Dr. Ahn. Per regulations set by The Joint Commission, we have a separate anesthesia provider to monitor patients. We use twilight/IV sedation so you will be sleeping and breathing on your own. We do not use general anesthesia. Our anesthesia is safer; it leads to a faster recovery than general anesthesia and produces less nausea for our patient.
What should I expect during and after eyelid surgery?
- Dr. Ahn begins surgery by making surgical markings to produce natural-looking results, and prevent a “surprised” appearance post-healing.
- During eyelid surgery, your extra skin will be removed. The crepey skin effect is improved, but the texture of your skin is unchanged.
- Recovery is typically 8-10 days.
- What’s the result? Eyelid surgery will make you appear fresher and brighter.
…and Lower eyelid surgery (fat transfer)?
- A common concern from our patients is a hollowing (loss of volume) along the rim of the eye socket. Dr. Ahn will carefully add fat to this area to make you appear well-rested.
- Recovery is 8-10 days, and there is some swelling.
- A fat transfer will last for years.
What can be done about droopy brows?
- Droopy brows often create hooding in the upper eyelid.
- If the brow is lifted too high it can create an artificial, “surprised” look. Dr. Ahn does not lift the entire brow and therefore avoids the “surprised” look.
- Dr. Ahn takes care in lifting the tail of the brows to improve this area and calls it a “Temporal Brow Lift.” This procedure provides the best aesthetic outcome; it gives you a nice arch and makes the eyes look more open.
What are the benefits of a lower face and neck lift?
- One of the most common complaints we hear from our patients is their dissatisfaction with jowls and neckbands. Patients choose a lower face and neck lift because they want to look younger, fresher and natural.
- The results generally last 8 -10 years.
- After recovery, patients say they look 10-15 years younger.
What is recovery like for lower face and neck lift surgery?
- Post-op you may experience tightness in front of the neck and around the ears.
- After one week you can begin easing into regular daily activities.
- It’s generally 10-14 days before you will feel presentable in public.
Why would I consider fillers after surgery?
- Dr. Ahn may recommend that you try fillers after surgery to improve the nasolabial folds, better known as “laugh lines.”
- Botox is also an effective option to treat the forehead, frown lines, and crow’s feet around your eyes.
Have more questions about any facial surgical procedures or cosmetic fillers? Contact our office to speak to one of our AWC professionals and schedule a consultation. Please ask to join our mailing list, so you can catch our next seminar on cosmetic surgery in the Boston area.